Parks & Recreation Youth Advisory Board
- 5:30 p.m.
- First Thursday of every month
- Parks and Recreation Administration Office
1501 E Hadley Avenue
Las Cruces, NM 88001
The Youth Advisory Board is comprised of 16 school-age teenagers, who serve a one-year term on the board. Two past members are selected to serve as co-chairs and lead the board meetings. Members are selected through an application and interview process.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide a platform for young people to grow up healthy, caring, and responsible
- Promote the youth voice in Las Cruces
- Implement community projects to help address youth needs through action teams
- Plan and run our own meetings
- Advise local agencies on youth-related issues, including the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board and City departments
Joining the Board
When you join the Youth Advisory Board, you can:
- Gain experience in leadership and business etiquette
- Learn about the community, City government and opportunities business, banking and the nonprofit world can offer
- Participate in special functions and events
- Provide a youth perspective to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board and management
We are currently opening the process for youth to apply for the Parks and Recreation Youth Board. Each spring, we encourage current 7th to 12th graders who live in the city to apply for the next school year. No previous leadership experience is necessary. Applications are now available and due back by May 31.
A committee of Parks and Recreation Department staff, Parks and Recreation Advisory Board members, and designees will review the applications and interview applicants. New members will be invited to join based on their potential to positively contribute to the board’s work and their capacity to represent the diversity of Las Cruces’ youth community.
For more information, call Parks and Recreation at 575-541-2550, or email the Youth Board with questions!