Fire Flow Tests Scheduled October 9 and October 11 at 10 City Locations 2018
Las Cruces Utilities (LCU) will conduct fire flow tests on hydrants at 10 City locations from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, October 9, and Thursday, October 11, 2018.
The affected areas for Tuesday, October 9, will include:
- Trails West Senior Community.
- North Martinez Street, between Las Cruces Avenue and Bowman Avenue.
- Palmer Road, east of Winton Drive.
- Imperial Ridge Street, east of Enchanted Drive.
- Winters Street, south of Valley View Drive.
The affected areas on Thursday, October 11, will include:
- Neptune Drive, north of Mars Avenue.
- Beryl Street, north of Jade Avenue.
- Reynolds Drive, south of Bataan Memorial East.
- Hunters Chase Road, south of Remington Road.
- Wingspan Drive, east of Crawford Boulevard.
These tests are being performed to determine:
- Water availability in planning for firefighting activities.
- Water availability for the design of the water system.
- Water main extension evaluation.
- System improvement and replacement planning.
- The general condition of the water distribution system by detecting closed valves.
The flow tests are planned for model calibration, spread throughout the pressure zones. The water data is also used by LCU to simulate high flow conditions, to determine pressures and flow-producing capabilities of the water distribution system and for the calibration of the hydraulic model.
Because of the tests, businesses and residents may notice discolored water due to iron, manganese and calcium deposits. Although the water is safe to drink, the City recommends waiting for water to become clear before washing laundry.
The discoloration should disappear within 24 hours. If it does not, all faucets in the residence or business should be flushed for five minutes. If the discoloration persists, call Las Cruces Utilities at 575/526-0500 for assistance.