DACLC Priorities 2018
Doña Ana County Legislative Coalition (DACLC) Champions Key Priorities for the 2018 New Mexico Legislative Session
Critical education, economic development, and infrastructure investments lead the slate of local and state priorities being advanced by the Doña Ana County Legislative Coalition (DACLC) for the 2018 New Mexico Legislative Session.
The DACLC has outlined targeted investments in people and places that can spur unprecedented innovation and transformation across the region and the state.
The outlined priorities build on the county’s past successes.
- Doña Ana County leads the state in exports ($1.57 billion in 2017).
- Las Cruces and Doña Ana County lead the state in high school graduation rates (Gadsden ISD 86% in 2016/Las Cruces PS 80% in 2016).
- Las Cruces is safest city in New Mexico (2017) and the sixth best-run city in America (2017) according to WalletHub.com
- Doña Ana County is experiencing a steady increase in median incomes according to the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions (2010-2015).
Every year state legislators determine how New Mexico tax dollars are distributed. In 2018, the DACLC identified 19 priorities for state officials who seek to generate the greatest returns on the investment of precious state dollars, focusing on key issues that drive the economy and ensure a strong future for the county and the state:
Education ● Health Care ● Regional Economic Development
● Public Safety and Quality of Life ● Transportation
For the past 10 years, the DACLC has uniquely proven that collaboration and targeted investments can produce significant positive change in New Mexico. The DACLC is comprised of leaders from the county’s strong set of cross-sector partners:
- The City of Las Cruces Doña Ana County
- Greater Las Cruces Chamber of Commerce
- Las Cruces Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Spaceport America
- New Mexico State University/Doña Ana Community College
- Las Cruces Public Schools
- Mesilla Valley Economic Development Alliance
- The Bridge of Southern New Mexico
A detailed description of the DACLC’s 2018 Legislative Priorities can be found on the home page of the City of Las Cruces website at http://www.las-cruces.org/ under Hot Topics. Las Cruces Day in Santa Fe (sponsored by the Greater Las Cruces Chamber of Commerce and the Council of the Conquistadores) on Saturday-Monday, Jan. 27-29, 2018, provides a powerful venue for local community members to meet with legislators from across the state and voice their support for specific legislation and $55 million in total investment. To register for the event, contact the Greater Las Cruces Chamber of Commerce at 575-524-1968. More information at: http://cca.lascruces.org/EvtListing.aspx?dbid2=NMLC&date=20171227&class=E To learn more, contact Bill Connor, chairman of the Doña Ana County Legislative Coalition, at (575) 644- 896 cell.