Recreation Vehicle Ordinance Changes Take Effect September 1st 2018
The City of Las Cruces is preparing for changes in the Municipal Code to reflect an update in the parking restrictions for Recreational Vehicles (RVs) within residential areas of Las Cruces.
On September 1, 2018, the City will enforce Ordinance # 2856, which repeals and replaces the language in the Municipal code (27-12-6-17), to clarify wording and to implement a permitting process for better enforcement of RV parking restrictions.
Restrictions in Ordinance #2856 include:
- Requiring an RV owner or operator to obtain and display a parking permit when parking on the street.
- Obtaining a free permit within eight hours of parking on the street
- Limiting parking of an RV to a maximum of six consecutive days (and not exceeding 18 days in a consecutive 90-day period during a calendar year)
- Limiting the parking of the RV to the address listed on the parking permit
- Moving the RV for at least 24 hours between six-day periods
The following information is necessary to obtain a permit: name of registered owner, address where RV will be parked, email address, telephone number, license plate number, vehicle ID number, vehicle registration, vehicle make, model and year and beginning and ending date of permit.
RV owners and operators may obtain the free parking permits at:
Community Development Permit Counter at City Hall (700 N. Main Street)
7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday – Thursday or 7 – 11 a.m. Friday.
East Mesa Public Safety Complex (500 North Sonoma Ranch Boulevard)
8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday – Friday.
At this time permits are not available online but will be in a few weeks to provide greater convenience for customers.
If you have questions before the implementation of these changes, please call Policy Analyst Elizabeth Teeters at (575) 541-2181. If you have questions about the permits, you can call Community Development at (575) 528-3059 or Codes Enforcement at (575) 528-4100. You may also email RVParking@las-cruces.org if you have any additional questions or comments.