Professional Standards Unit
Professional Standards Unit
The goal of the Professional Standards Unit is to ensure that all complaints or allegations against the Las Cruces Police Department or any of its employees are investigated in a thorough, fair, and impartial manner. The rights of all citizens and employees of the Las Cruces Police Department shall be protected and confidentiality shall be maintained at the highest standard. We strive to earn the trust and confidence of the citizens we proudly serve while maintaining the highest level of ethical behavior and integrity for the Las Cruces Police Department by identifying, recognizing, and resolving public safety concerns.
The Professional Standards Unit is over seen by Lt. Joy Mickendrow and contains one sergeant, and two detectives. The Professional Standards Unit reports directly to the Chief of Police. The PSU lieutenant, sergeant and detectives can be reached via email if you have general questions about LCPD's internal investigations.
Compliment an Officer or Employee of LCPD
You can compliment or recognize the fine work done by a Las Cruces Police officer or any employee of the department. To formally recognize, compliment or praise an employee of the Las Cruces Police Department, please download this Compliment Form and submit it to us. We always like to hear of the good work we're doing in our community.
Citizen Complaint Procedure
It is the policy of the Las Cruces Police Department to thoroughly investigate all allegations of administrative violations, criminal activity, or other misconduct by its employees.
You are encouraged to bring any questions or concerns about procedures to the Police Department’s attention through a supervisory team member or the Professional Standards Unit (PSU). An attempt will be made to resolve any issues informally or formally.
The steps for filing a formal written complaint and procedure are as follows:
- Anyone wishing to file a formal complaint should complete a written Complaint Form. These forms may be obtained at the Las Cruces Police Department located at 217 E. Picacho Ave., or by contacting any LCPD supervisor. When completing this form, please include as much detail as possible including the date, time, and location of the incident, the identities of the officer(s) involved, if known, and a statement of circumstances surrounding your complaint. Please include your name and phone number so an investigator may contact you if further information or clarification is needed.
- The PSU will receive the Complaint Form and conduct a preliminary inquiry into the allegations contained in the complaint.
- The preliminary inquiry findings will be forwarded to the Chief of Police who will then determine if a formal investigation will be conducted, the matter will be referred to the employee’s supervisor, or the matter closed due to no misconduct or policy violations discovered.
- All formal investigations conducted by the PSU will be reviewed by the Chief of Police or his designate.
- Most investigations and findings are completed within 90 days after the complaint has been filed.
- Citizens filing complaints will receive a written notice of the disposition through certified mail. Any questions you have concerning the complaint process may be directed to the PSU at (575) 528-4730.
Making False or Malicious Allegations
The PSU serves as a means for the public to file legitimate complaints.
While supporting this process, the department holds the public responsible for filing only legitimate complaints and not those that may be false or malicious allegations. The investigation process is time consuming and false or malicious allegations serve only to impede the department’s ability to provide quality law enforcement services.
It is a criminal offense to knowingly make a false report to law enforcement authorities. The Las Cruces Police Department will initiate appropriate legal action in cases involving intentional false reporting.
2011 Annual Report
2012 Annual Report
2013 Annual Report
2014 Annual Report
2015 Annual Report