2017-2021 – City of Las Cruces City Council for District 6 for four-year term. Next election is November 2, 2021
Yvonne Magdalena Flores was born in El Paso, Texas to Ernesto Rey Flores and Lupe Ibarra de Flores spending most of her early childhood years with grandparents in Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua. Her father, born in Ciudad Jiménez, Chihuahua, a trained civil engineer, served in the military during WWII, stationed at Fort Ord. After his separation from the Army, he decided it was best for his family to move to Los Angeles, California. Her father served as a planning commissioner, councilor, and Mayor of Santa Fe Springs, for 20 years. Her mother, a graduate of the Technológica de Ciudad Juárez, became the first Mexican American First Lady of the City and President of the Woman’s Club. Her 3 brothers are retired aeronautical engineers and her sister is an artist. Yvonne earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in Spanish Literature at California State University at Sacramento and her Juris Doctor from University of California, Hastings College of the Law in San Francisco. She bought her home in Las Cruces in 2005 with her mother, who has resided here ever since, and made Las Cruces her permanent home in 2012. Yvonne has two sons, Joaquin, a political analyst/economist/journalist and Gordon, an artist/filmmaker.
Professional Recognition & Community Involvement
- Board Member, Airport Advisory Board
- Alternate Member, Mesilla Valley Regional Dispatch Authority
- Legislative Intern, Majority Consultants, California Legislature
- Incorporated Migrant Legal Services to educate farm workers as to their rights under the National Labor Relations Act, along with other law students.
- Established, with the joint efforts of two other instructors, the Barrio Education Center as an inner city campus of Sacramento City College.
- Legal Aid internship with a focus on immigration law.
- Volunteer at El Rescate providing immigration assistance to asylum seekers from El Salvador.
- Served AYSO referee.
- Served as President of the Mexican American Bar Association of Los Angeles County.
- Founder of the Latina Lawyers Bar Association.
- Member of the League of Women Voters of Greater Las Cruces, Board member 2015-2017.
- Member of the Sonoma Ranch South Home Owners Association, Board member 2013-2016.
- Las Cruces Press Women.
- Recipient of the California PTA Service Award.
- Recipient of the California State Bar pro bono service award (Acuña v. Regents of the University of California).
- Recipient of numerous commendations from California state legislators in connection with legal service to the community at large.
- Recipient of the Outstanding Latina Award presented by Univision.
- Member State Bar of California.
- Member Federal District Court, Central District, California.
- Member Hispanic National Bar Association.
Phone: (575) 541-2066
Fax: (575) 541-2119
Mailing Address: PO Box 20000, Las Cruces, NM 88004