2015-2019 – City of Las Cruces City Council for District 2 for four-year term. Next election is November 5, 2019
Learn more about PEAK Performance.
Councilor Smith serves on the following Policy Review Committees. Click on the button for each committee for more information.
When one is born in an Army hospital, chances are pretty good that the future will include travel. Such was certainly the case for Gregory Z. Smith. Gregory was born at William Beaumont Army Medical Center in El Paso, and he’s lived in Alaska and Argentina and traveled as far east as the Black Sea and as far west as Hawaii. Much of that travel occurred during his childhood as the son of an Army Artillery Officer, but plenty has occurred since college graduation.
Greg’s late father was Donald Evans Smith. His mother is a local artist, Jo-an Richardson Smith. His wife, Allison Kuper Smith, is a graduate of Las Cruces High School and of the Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management School at NMSU.
Greg studied architecture at Texas A&M University and holds a Bachelor degree in Environmental Design from A&M as well as a Master of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction degree from the University of Texas at Austin. After 20 years teaching elementary school, Greg came home to Las Cruces where three generations of his family have lived. Here he started a residential design business and also quickly became involved in several local non-profit organizations.
Elected to represent District 2 in 2011 and to the position of Mayor Pro Tem in 2013, Councillor Smith sees Las Cruces poised to take on a huge range of exciting new possibilities. From the treasures in the rocks of Prehistoric Trackways National Monument to the phenomenal opportunities soaring out of Spaceport America, neither the ground nor the sky is the limit for Las Cruces. Councillor Smith invites residents to join him for morning coffee at 9:00 a.m. Tuesdays at Milagro Coffee y Espresso at 1733 E. University Ave. and at 7:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Spirit Winds, 2260 S. Locust St.
Professional Recognition & Community Involvement
- 2013-2017 Served as Mayor Pro Tem
- 2011-2015 – City of Las Cruces City Council for District 2; 2015-2019 – City of Las Cruces City Council for District 2
- Chairman, Animal Service Center of the Mesilla Valley
- Board Member, West Mesa Strategic Planning Committee
- Board Member, University Avenue Corridor Advisory Committee
- Chairman, Mesilla Valley Regional Dispatch Authority (MRVDA)
- Board Member, Southern New Mexico-El Paso Joint Land Use Study Committee
- Treasurer, South Central Regional Transit District (SCRTD)
- Member, Doña Ana County Juvenile Justice Advisory Committee
- Member, New Mexico Municipal League Environmental, Energy and Natural Resources Committee
- Member, National League of Cities Transportation and Infrastructure Services Committee
- Ex-Officio Member, New Mexico State University Campus Planning Committee
- Board Member, New Mexico State University Town and Gown Commission
- Vice President, Mesilla Valley Preservation, Inc. (MVP)
- Chairman, Historic Preservation Coalition
- Member, White Sands Missile Range Military/Civilian Council
- Member, Paleozoic Trackways Foundation Board
- Member, TEX-21 Regional Transportation Council
- Member, Success Partnership Leaders Circle
Phone: (575) 541-2066
Fax: (575) 541-2119
Mailing Address: PO Box 20000, Las Cruces, NM 88004