Term: 2013 to 2017
Born and raised in Hastings, Minnesota, and son of an electrical contractor, Gill graduated from Winona State University, Winona, Minnesota, with a bachelor’s degree in biology. He taught science at St. Augustine School in Austin, Minnesota. Continuing his pursuit in education, Gill joined the Peace Corps and taught science at Ghana’s Amedzofe Teacher Training College. There he met and married his wife, Christine A. McConaty, also a science teacher in the Peace Corps. Returning to the United States, he received a Master’s of Science in Biology at the University of North Dakota.
After employment with the Montana Department of Agriculture as a pesticide specialist, Gill joined his family’s ranch and farm in Wolf Point Montana, managing and operating raising angus cattle, and growing hay, alfalfa seed, and grains. In 1998 he moved to New Mexico and was employed as a contractor with AgriBioTech Seed Company (ABT), as a consultant for growing alfalfa seed.
After his work was done with ABT, he worked several positions and jobs including:
- Consulting for Zia Engineering and Environmental Consultants, LLC (ZiaEEC)
- MASSCOM Systems of Virginia
- Mountain Plover Nesting Surveys in Colorado (Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory)
- Raptor Surveys in Colorado
- Seasonal employment at White Sands Missile Range (WSMR)
- Substitute teacher
- TES Plant Species at Fort Bliss
- Threatened and Endangered Species (TES) and National Environment Policy Act (NEPA) with Mexican spotted owl (U.S. Air Force/Hubbs SeaWorld Research Institute project)
- Wildlife Manager for Birdstrike Control Program at McConnell Air Force Base in Wichita, Kansas
In October 2008 he began working part time for ZiaEEC in Las Cruces as a staff scientist in biology and NEPA.
Afterward he was an alfalfa seed production consultant for Pioneer HiBred International Incorporated.
Gill has a daughter (Amoreena Joy France married to Matthew France), a granddaughter, (Angelina France, living in Spokane, Washington), and a son (Andrew Sorg, living in Sandpoint Idaho).
Professional Recognition & Community Involvement
- 2013 to 2017 – City of Las Cruces City Council for District 5
- 2009 to 2013 – City of Las Cruces City Council for District 5
- Board Member, Policy Committee, Mesilla Valley Metropolitan Planning Organization
- Board Member, Las Cruces Utilities Board
- Board Member, International Boundary and Water Commission Citizens Forum
- Board Member, Paseo Del Norte Watershed Council
Other Memberships & Offices
- Mesilla Valley Audubon Society, Board of Directors
- New Mexico Audubon Council, Vice President
- New Mexico Wilderness Alliance
- Friends of the Organ Mountains Desert Peaks, President
- Knights of Columbus Council 9527
- Montana Alfalfa Seed Growers Association, President
- Northwest Alfalfa Seed Growers Association, President
- McCone County School Board, Montana
- Montana Governors Leafcutter Bee Advisory Committee, Chairman
- New Horizon Band, Las Cruces