Term: 2015 to 2019
Mayor Miyagishima serves on the following Policy Review Committees:
Kenneth Daniel Gallegos Miyagishima was born in Biloxi, Mississippi in 1963. He is of both Japanese and Mexican descent. He has lived in Las Cruces since 1971.
He attended public schools and in 1985 graduated from New Mexico State University (NSMU) with degrees in finance and real estate. In 1984 - while still attending NMSU - Ken began his insurance and financial services business, which he still owns today.
Ken and Rosie have four children. Danielle is attending Yale Medical School, while John and Frank are both attending NMSU studying engineering. Carlos is a junior at Centennial High School.
State of the City Address
Professional Recognition & Community Involvement
- 2016 Antonio Villaraigosa Leadership Award - View Video (Note: The segment with Mayor Miyagishima begins at 1:50:13.)
- 2015 to 2019 – City of Las Cruces Mayor
- 2011 to 2015 – City of Las Cruces Mayor
- 2007 to 2011 – City of Las Cruces Mayor
- Board Member, Metro Narcotics
- Board Member, South Central Solid Waste Authority
- Board Member, Rio Grande Council of Governments
- Board Member, Mesilla Valley Economic Development (MVEDA)
- Board Member, South Central Council of Governments
- Las Cruces Business Forum
- U.S. - Mexico Border Mayors Association
- U.S. Conference of Mayors
- Las Cruces Chamber of Commerce
- Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Green Chamber of Commerce
- 2012 to Present - Vice-Chair. Finance, Taxation Committee-NMML
- 2011 to Present - Re-elected Mayor of Las Cruces
- 2011 to Present - Board of Advisors - U.S. Conference of Mayors
- 2011 to Present - Member, U.S.-Mexico Border Mayors Association
- 2007 to 2011 - Elected Mayor of Las Cruces
- 2009 to Present - Chairman, (2010), Chief Elected Officials Region 4, Southwest Area Workforce Development Board
- 2001 to 2007 - Councillor, District 6, City of Las Cruces
- 2004 to Chairman, City of Las Cruces Public Safety Committee
- 1996 to 1999 - Chairman, NM Association of Counties Insurance Authority
- 1997 to 1998 - President, Rio Grande Council of Government
- 1995 to 1997 - Chairman, Doña Ana County Board of Commissioners
- 1992 to 2000 - Commissioner, Doña Ana County Board of Commissioners
- 1985 to Present - Small business owner (five employees)
Ken has achieved many milestones in his distinguished career in public service:
- 1992 – Became New Mexico’s first American of Japanese descent to be elected to public office.
- 2001- Following his election to City Council, Ken became one of only a handful of officials ever elected to both the Las Cruces City Council and Doña Ana Board of County Commissioners.
- 2002 – Ken’s accomplishments were included in the book, Distinguished Asian-American Political and Governmental Leaders, printed by Greenwood Press.
- 2005 - Ken has won two different general elections while running “unopposed,” with the other election being November 1992.
- 2007 – Graduated from FBI Citizen’s Academy, Las Cruces Resident Agency.
- 2007 – Following his election as Mayor, Ken became only the second person in Dõna Ana County's history to have been elected both Chairman of the Dõna Ana County Commission and the Mayor of Las Cruces.
Education & Experience
- Las Cruces High School. Diploma, May 1981
- New Mexico State University, BBA Degree, May 1985
- Degrees: Finance and Real Estate
- 2011 - Champions of Change, The White House, Washington D.C.
- 2002 - Commander’s Award for Public Service, Department of the Army
- 2000 - Voted “Best County Commissioner” in Readers’ Poll
- 1999 - Voted “Best County Commissioner” in Readers’ Poll
- 1998 - Voted “Best County Commissioner” in Readers’ Poll