Teaches participants the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. The course content and activities prepare participants to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and prevent drowning.
- Minimum of 16 years old.
- Swim 300 yards continuously. (Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke).
- Surface dive 7-10 feet.
- Retrieve a 10lb object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Tread water for 2 minutes without the use of hands.
- Must be completed within a 1 minute, 40 seconds time period.
The City of Las Cruces Parks & Recreation Department is offering two lifeguard training courses for 2017. If you are 15 years of age or older and looking for a summer job, the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Program is a great place to start. Lifeguarding allows you to work as part of a team to help people safely enjoy the water. You could even save a life! Learning is fun and easy!
Through videos, group discussion and hands-on practice, participants will learn:
- Rescue skills for use in the water and on land.
- First aid and professional rescuer CPR/AED training to help prepare for emergencies.
- Professional lifeguard responsibilities.
- Surveillance skills to help you recognize and prevent injuries.
Session I: Feb. 18, 19, 25 and 26
Class times: Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
(You must pass a “Skills Pre-test” held from 4 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 17.)
Session II: March 20-24
Class times: Monday 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.; Tuesday - Friday 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.
(You must pass a “Skills Pre-test” held from 4 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. Friday, March. 17.)
Session III: April 22, 23, 29, 30
Class times: Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
(You must pass a “Skills Pre-test” held from 4 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. Friday, April. 21.)
All Pre-tests and trainings will be held at Frenger Pool, 800 Parkview Dr. Class schedules and locations will be available the first day of class. Candidates 17 years of age and younger must have parent or guardian present to sign a parent consent form prior to participation in the pre-test and class. The cost of the class is $200
These jobs are in high demand! American Red Cross certification is recognized nationwide so you can work anywhere in the U.S. No other training organization helps train as many lifeguards each year as the American Red Cross. Contact the Las Cruces Regional Aquatic Center for further information and to sign up for the skills pre-test at 575-541-2782.