What We Do
The Volunteer Network is the City of Las Cruces’ volunteer resource providing over 300 volunteers to over 30 volunteer stations across city programs. Our Mission is to expand and enhance the delivery of quality services to the Las Cruces community through meaningful volunteer engagement.
So if you’re an individual or a group seeking volunteer opportunities and ways to connect to your community, you’ve come to the right place. Please complete the Application for Volunteer Service (PDF) to get started!
Formerly the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program for the area, The Volunteer Network now works with volunteers of all ages. While we typically work with volunteers over 18, we are able to work with volunteers younger than 18 with parental permission and reliable transportation to their volunteer station.
Current Volunteer Network Opportunities
- Priority Need! Golden Shield Yard Assistance program to help seniors in need.
- Survey Volunteer—Helping to get feedback from Golden Shield Yard Assistance participants
Juvenile Citation Program
- Office Volunteers and tutors/mentors are needed for this important program working with youth in our community.
- Volunteers are needed to cover front desk duties on Thursday mornings, and Saturdays (both AM and PM Shifts).
Museum of Nature and Science
- Looking for new volunteers, especially on Saturdays
Museum of Art
- Volunteer models needed. Volunteers are needed to sit for portraits for art classes—Don’t worry, you can keep your clothes on!
Las Cruces Airport
- Office Assistant—The Las Cruces Airport is looking for some organized volunteers to help at the Las Cruces airport offices.
Senior Programs: General
- Blood Pressure Volunteers—Calling all former RN’s or CNA’s stat! We need help providing blood pressure checks to seniors at all the senior centers. The schedule varies but aligns with the food distribution schedule.
- Gardeners—The Munson Center Community Garden is in need of new volunteers! We meet once a month for meetings and of course, spend a lot of time in the garden. Don’t know much about gardens? That’s ok, we’ll teach ya!
- Mosaics Instructor—Needed for the Munson Center
Senior Programs: Nutrition and Meals
- Dining Room Aides are needed at Sage Café, particularly on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Café Worker—Needed at both Sage Café and Eastside Centers.
- Meals on Wheels Respite Driver—Volunteers are needed to help with the meals on wheels route. Must have a good driving record and attend a driver’s training. Looking for coverage on Thursdays and Fridays
- Food 4 Paws project is looking for another driver as well as a volunteer to help with community distribution on Wednesdays!
Thomas Branigan Memorial Library
- Shelf-cleaning Crew—Volunteers are needed for cleaning books and shelves at the library on a continuous basis. A variety of shifts available.
After-School Programs, Juvenile Citation Program, and Weed and Seed
- Tutor/Activity Support—Working on tutoring and another programming with area youth through Weed and Seed, especially needed for summer hours.
- Mentor—Working one-on-one with a youth matched with you through the Weed and Seed program
- Social Media Outreach Volunteers—Volunteers are needed to help with social media presence for the Network and Senior Programs.
- Volunteers are needed to help with the food distributions at all five centers. See following for monthly schedule
1st Monday—Sage Café 4th Monday—Eastside Center
1st Thursday—Papen Center 4th Wednesday—Munson Center
1st Friday—Benavidez Center
Requesting a Volunteer
Network Volunteers are mainly placed with city-sponsored programs. City Departments are encouraged to fill out the Volunteer Request Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (575) 528-3085 to coordinate your volunteer needs. The Volunteer Network does partner with outside organizations on a very limited basis. You are welcome to inquire with the Volunteer Coordinator regarding our capacity to set up that partnership
Our annual Volunteer Fair offers an opportunity to learn about community organizations that use volunteers. Download the 2019 fair flyer (PDF).