Clean Fill & Yard Waste
Las Cruces Utilities offers services to our residents that help us divert waste from the regional landfill. The “Old Foothills Landfill”, located at 555 S. Sonoma Ranch Blvd. accepts both clean fill and green waste.
Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Last load for automatic dump vehicles allowed in up to closing time
- Last load for manual dump vehicles will be five (5) minutes before closing time
Clean Fill Material
Clean fill consists of materials that, when buried, will have no adverse effect on people or the environment. Clean fill materials include natural materials such as clay, soil, rock, and other inert materials.
Acceptable Clean Fill Materials
- Concrete - all rebar or wire mesh sticking out of the concrete must be shorter than two inches
Unacceptable Clean Fill Materials
- Contaminated materials
Yard Waste Requirements
For your safety, the safety of our employees, and to keep the equipment in good operating condition, we ask that you follow these guidelines when disposing of your yard waste:
- Tree limbs may not exceed 5-feet in length or 5-inches in diameter.
- Palm trees must be less than 2-feet in length and diameter.
- No dirt please, this includes sod, dirt root balls on plants, and dirt in raked material. Dirt and rock are damaging to the chipper.
- Please take yard waste and tree leaves out of plastic bags, and dump in the pile
- No trash in the yard waste. This includes paper and plastics.
- Please check for any tools you may have left behind.
- For yuccas please call Las Cruces Solid Waste Utilities 575-528-3700 ahead of time for a case-by-case evaluation to determine the best way to of dispose this material while being mindful of the equipment.
Las Cruces Utilities takes all of the yard waste and recycles it into rich, organic, composted mulch. Yard waste is chipped, ground up, piled up, watered, turned, and left in the sun to "cook" for several months to destroy weed seeds and make compost material useful for landscaping.
Composted mulch is very useful in dust abatement and erosion control. It provides great ground cover to hold moisture longer, which in turn helps conserve water and promotes re-vegetation. For more information about water conservation, see Water Conservation
Compost material is available free to residents; compost is also available to commercial customers on a first come, first serve basis (limited quantities while supplies last).
Clean fill and yard waste disposal at the Old Foothills Landfill is free to Residential customers. Commercial customers pay a rate of $3.96 per ton to dispose of clean fill and $22.70 per ton for yard waste disposal.
The Foothills Landfill accepts checks and cash as forms of payment for commercial customers, or you may be billed when an appropriate account is established through customer service.